Study the diagram below and use it to answer Questions (a) - (d)
(a) ldentify the farm implement illustrated by diagram above
(b) Describe briefly how the farm implement operates.
(c)(i) Name the part labelled A - D in the diagram
(d) State three ways of maintaining the farm implement.
Report an Error
Ask A Question
(a) The farm implement illustrated by the diagram is Planter, seed planter/precision seed drill.
(b) Ways of functioning or operation;
- The implement is attached or coupled to a tractor and pushed by man or pulled by animal.
- As the planter moves, the furrow opener opens the soil/land
- The sprocket controls the seed plate or drops the seeds
- The furrow closer closes the furrow, the roller presses it up and the inter-row marker marks / indicates the planting distance
(c) Labelling and functions of the parts labelled:
- B - hole digger/furrow opener. Function: digs a hole in front into which the seed(s) will drop.
- C - seed hose /seed tube. Function: conducts or directs the seed from the base of the hopper into the hole dug.
- A - Seed hopper / seed box / seed container. Function: contains the seeds ( to be planted).
- D. furrow ( wheel) press/ roller. Function: Presses the soil to cover the seed dropped into the hole.
(d) Maintenance of planter:
- should only be used for the purpose for which it is meant,
- should be(dismantled) and washed/cleaned after Use
- wash and dry after use,
- store under cool, dry environment;
- metal parts should be oiled/greased to prevent rusting,
- bolts and nuts should be tightened regularly;
- replace worn-out parts;
- Lubricate movable joints.