The National Universities Commission (NUC) has released the list of twelve Nigerian universities that have received due approval to operate distance learning centres across the country.
According to a bulletin published by the commission, the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) with seventy-two study/resource centres nationwide has been the only approved open university currently practising in Nigeria.
The twelve new universities include:
1. Distance Learning Centre, University of Ibadan.
2. University of Lagos, Distance Learning Institute.
3. The University of Abuja, Centre for Distance Learning and Continuing Education.
4. The University of Maiduguri, Centre for Distance Learning.
5. Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Centre for Distance Learning.
6. Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola, Centre for Distance Learning.
7. Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Open and Distance Learning Centre.
8. Distance learning Centre, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
9. Lagos State University Open and Distance Learning and Research Institute.
10. Joseph Ayo Babalola University Centre for Distance Learning.
11. The University of Nigeria, Nsukka Centre for Distance and e-Learning.
12. The Federal University of Technology Minna, Centre for Open Distance and e-Learning.